Friday, July 1, 2011

Because I Could Not Sop My Bike and Other Poems by Karen Shapiro

Hardcover, 32 pages
Published May 28th 2003 by Whispering Coyote (first published 2003)
ISBN: 1580890350 (ISBN13: 9781580890359)
original title: Because I Could Not Stop My Bike and Other Poems 
5 stars
 
Goodreads Synopsis:
A collection of light-hearted parodies written in the style of such well-known poets as Emily Dickinson, Robert Burns, Christina Rosetti, Joyce Kilmer, and William Shakespeare.

My Thoughts:
Oh my, how I love parody poetry! This is chock full of fun poems modeled after all manner of classic poets. I love that the poems are about silly subjects, and while staying within the parameters of the poems they model, they are written in a way that is utterly appealing to kids (or the childish part of adults). The artwork is beautiful as well. All in all, this is a must have book of poetry for me to share with my kiddo.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, cool! I love books like this. I got the boys Orangutan Tongs: Poems to Tangle Your Tongue by Jon Agee, for CHristmas,a nd while it's been fun, we need to move on to something new! Must find this one.
    Thanks, Bookish Nerd!

    ReplyDelete